Is Unisa a Private or Public University?
Is Unisa a Private or Public University?
Unisa is one of the largest distance-learning public universities in the world and is located in South Africa. Unisa was founded in 1873 as the University of the Cape of Good Hope and became a full university in 1951. It is a member of the Association of African Universities and the Association of Commonwealth Universities. Unisa was the only university in South Africa to have provided all people with access to education, irrespective of race, colour or creed. Given the rootedness in South Africa and the African continent, Unisa today can truly claim to be the African university in the service of humanity. The three core business areas of Unisa are teaching, research and community engagement.
Unisa offers an unparalleled range of study choices, ranging from short courses and certificate programmes to three-and four-year degrees and diplomas, with close to 400 000 current students.
Governance and Management of Unisa
Management at Unisa is ultimately responsible for creating an environment and culture that is conducive to the attainment of the university’s vision to be the African university shaping futures in the service of humanity. Part of this responsibility lies in determining the mission, values, goals, objectives, strategies and policies that will safeguard and promote this vision. The Vice-Chancellor and Principal are responsible for the day-to-day administration of the university, and they are backed by the Senior Executive Team, which includes the Deputy Vice-Chancellors, the Registrar, and the Chief Financial Officer.
Courses Offered At Unisa
- Higher Certificate in Mathematics and Statistics (90129)
- Higher Certificate in Physical Sciences (90101)
- Advanced Certificate in Intermediate Phase Mathematics and English First Additional Language Teaching (90177)
- Diploma in Administrative Management (98216)
- Diploma in Agricultural Management (90097)
- Diploma in Explosives Management (98222)
- Diploma in Information Technology (98806 – ITE)
- Diploma in Safety Management (90107)
- Diploma in Small Business Management (90073)
For more courses offered at Unisa, click here
How to Apply at UNISA Online 2024
The University of South Africa, UNISA Online Application is simple and very easy and can be done at your comfort anytime and anywhere. To apply online at UNISA for 2024, follow the procedure below:
- Go to the UNISA website: www.unisa.ac.za apply for 2024
- At the top menu of the page, click on “Admissions”
- Then, you click on “Apply for Admission”
- Click on the qualification for which you want to apply
- Read carefully about the chosen qualification and make sure you qualify to apply
- Start the online application process if you are First-time Unisa Applicant
- Remember that you may apply for a maximum of two qualifications, ranked in order of preference
- Click on “Apply for admission” in the sub-menu of your chosen qualification
- Carefully read the application instructions and click on “Apply Online”
- UNISA Application Tool for 2024 will be open for you
- Make your selection by ticking one of the qualifications on the portal
- Answer the question to proceed to the next step of the application
- Fill out the form with your personal details, name and date of birth
- Click on the “Continue” button to the next step
- Select your preferred qualification and check that you meet the admission requirements for this choice
- Click on “Continue” to confirm the qualifications that you have selected and whether everything is correct
- Complete and submit your application for evaluation.
READ: UNISA Online Application
UNISA Online Application Required Documents 2024
All those who are starting a new qualification at UNISA for 2024 must upload all the following required documents:
- Copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable)
- Copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate, National Senior Certificate)
- Copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID/passport (international students)
- Sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
Unisa Contact Details
Preller Street, Muckleneuk Ridge, Pretoria
Sunnyside campus (applications, registrations & learning centre):
Cnr Justice Mahomed & Steve Biko Streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria
0800 005 311
UNISA is a reputable institution that offers a wide range of academic programs to students worldwide. As an institution that values academic excellence and diversity, UNISA attracts a large number of applicants each year. Hope the provided information is useful, kindly leave a comment below.